Tuesday, January 6, 2015

Icom AH-4 Remote Tuner

My current antenna is the B.A.L. -- a large, horizontal loop that's about 150 meters of wire about 15-20 meters up in the trees around the yard.  I think it's a great all band antenna.

I buried a couple of coax runs from the shack wall to a spot about 15m away behind a large bush.  The ladder line from the loop falls down to this spot so I do not have wires directly hanging off the house (which makes the YL happy).  I was using a DX Engineering MAXI-CORE Balun and was happy with the results.  (As an aside:  I love hamfests!  I picked up this used balun for a song.)  I used this setup for a few years and have been pretty happy with the results. 

Since the loop is a non-resonant antenna, the SWR can be high.  I've been using the tuners built into my transceivers (Elecraft K2 & K3) but have been concerned about loss in the coax.  Since I only run 100 watts or less, I want every bit of power to get to the antenna and not be used to heat the coax. Placing a tuner at the end of the coax run is supposed to reduce the coax loss.  I had always planned on adding a remote tuner when the budget allowed.  When I buried the coax, I also threw in a couple of runs of CAT-5 cable that I had laying around for use for some sort of remote control.


The remote connection at the end of the coax run
I recently acquired an Icom AH-4 remote antenna tuner.  I am using one of the CAT-5 runs as the control cable for the AH-4; I simply used each twisted pair together for the power and control signals.  I no longer use the balun.


All connected and ready to go!
Since I am using this tuner with a non-Icom radio, I needed a way to tell the tuner to initiate the tune cycle.  I whipped up the circuit described as the universal controller and it seems to do the job. (Edit Jan 2019: The link to the universal controller diagram http://www.k2.dion.ne.jp/%7Esradio/AH-4En.htm no longer works!  There is a discussion on eham with a diagram that I think is similar.)  I do plan on building a better controller that will initiate the tune cycle and then key the radio automatically.

The 'controller' in the shack
I've been very happy with the tuner so far.  It finds a decent match (less then 1.5:1) on all bands and I believe it has made a difference.  I don't have empirical evidence to support that, though!  At least I no longer worry about loss in the coax...

8 comments:

  1. Are you concerned about voltage drop or current carrying capacity of the cat 5 cable?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I did worry about both the voltage drop and current capacity of the relatively thin wire. I doubled up on the wires for power (ie, each twisted pair acts as a single wire) and I figured it would be ok. I did not perform any voltage measurement testing at the far end. That might be an interesting experiment.

      It has worked really well so far.

      Delete
  2. Are you concerned about voltage drop or current carrying capacity of the cat 5 cable?

    ReplyDelete
  3. HI I am Guillermo, CP6GA.
    I have a icomo 802 and a tuner AT 140 icom it is a marime equipment but I want to install in my house.
    I don not know how to install a dipole antenna in the tuner.
    The tuner had a antenna conection above and grond below.
    That are the point to conect?
    Thank !

    ReplyDelete
  4. HI I am Guillermo, CP6GA.
    I have a icomo 802 and a tuner AT 140 icom it is a marime equipment but I want to install in my house.
    I don not know how to install a dipole antenna in the tuner.
    The tuner had a antenna conection above and grond below.
    That are the point to conect?
    Thank !

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hello Guillermo,

    As you can see in the picture, I use ladder line between the tuner and antenna. I ran one end of the ladder line to the top connection and the other end to the bottom connection. This has been working well for me.

    Good luck!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi, I'm trying to use the AH-4 with a K2 and need the circuit diagram in you photo. I assume it works? Do you have to hold the button while tuning? What does the LED tell you when lit or off?
    Thanks in advance.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The link to the remote tuner interface is broken. I did a quick google search and found a discussion on eham that has a diagram that I believe is similar.

      https://www.eham.net/ehamforum/smf/index.php/topic,101821.0.html

      Delete